Friday 29 July 2016

Random Rants about LGBT events & occasions


Traditionally, there are certain festivals happen such as the Transgender festival near Dinidivanam(I suppose), the Kutralam festival around August 15th, The Trichur Pooram which has become a mammoth gay fest of sorts, the Aluva Shivrathri again. However, these are a result of years and years of organic formations.

When I talk about gay-friendly festivals, is there any concert featuring a gay artist in the middle of a jungle where gay men can pitch their tents and spend the night around campfire, disco, booze etc. like the Sunburn festival or NH10 weekend types. It is surprising that despite the support many celebrities show for LGBT people, events like these are few and far.

There are of course a lot of queer film festivals happening. Nevertheless, I haven't really found myself comfortable at all. I tried going there by myself. I tried going there with friends. It really didn't work for me at all. In fact, it was even more intimidating to be part of that place where queens walked in and out like they owned the place. Not to mention, the cringe-worthy PDA crowd. 'What's the matter with these people?' I have wondered. Not that I am saint and I am totally against PDA but as long as there is no pretence about it, it is fine. More often than not, it is merely another additional attention-seeking item on the checklist for most. I say this so because, I have seen these same mouths that kissed passionately in the darkness of the film screening room that were blowing cocks of random people in the washroom.

The next set that sort of captures my attention is enthusiastic organizers. It is more often than not, a nice money-spinning exercise where the vulnerabilities of a newbie to the scene is plundered and his bank account gets punctured. The 'gang leader' tag that people associate with these people sound like some underworld Don from Dubai but sadly in reality, they put to shame drag queens from Vegas!

At times, I even wonder if I am a sociophobe because there is really very very very few people in the planet that I can feel genuinely comfortable with, be myself & just have a good time.

Nevertheless, as long as there is some way for our community to come together at a given place & time, in every city, I think that is the day, we wouldn't really be needing a list of cruising places compiled here or on Ohmojo or anywhere else.

Happy hunting!



No comments:

Post a Comment